|Common Name||Black Capped Conure, Rock Parakeet|
|Latin Name||Pyrrhura rupicola
|Average Lifespan||20 - 25 Years|
|Average Length||25 cm (9.8 Inches)|
|Average Weight||70 grams|
|Song Type||Tropical Squawking|
Noise Level & Talking Ability
Black Capped Conures are known for their quieter natures in comparison to other species of conures. Almost any conure will be louder than a cockatiel for example. However, Black Capped conures make good apartment birds, but this does not mean they are completely silent. Talking ability is limited, but many black-capped conures will repeat sounds and a few words.
Black-capped conures are mostly green. As the name suggests, they have a dark grey-brown cap that appears black in most lighting. The cheeks tend to be an olive green compared to the body. Like other conures, they have a white periophthalmic ring, and the iris is brown. The beak is very dark grey. The upper breast extending to the nape is dark brown feathers edged with near-white giving a scalloped necklace appearance. The primary coverts and underwing are bright red, which can be seen even when the wings are closed. Most individuals have a small amount of deep red on their belly. The flight feathers are green. The top side of the tail is green, the bottom side is a deep maroon, appearing black, and is about the same length as the body. The legs and feet are dark grey.
The Black Capped Conure is a playful bird and is very trainable with loads of personality. It has been said that black-capped conures are more timid to start than, say, a green-cheeked conure. Their owners should be comfortable with bird handling and ready to give them their required one on one handling and socialization, a nervous owner will not help the bird to become comfortable with them. Black Capped Conures bond strongly, but with proper socialization can make suitable family pets.
Bird pellets such as Zupreem Natural Pellets should make up the majority of the diet. Their diet can be kept varied with fresh fruits and veggies along with whole wheat or veggie pasta plus cooked rice which has been cooled down to room temperate. Cooked sweet potato cooled to room temperature is also great for providing extra Vitamin A content!
A black-capped conure needs a cage large enough to provide space for daily exercise. The cage should be around 4sqft at least, and have a maximum wire spacing of 3/4" inches. A variety of toys and perches must be provided to ensure overall health and wellbeing.
|Age of Maturity||1 Year|
|Breeding Aviculture||Fairly Common|
|Average Clutch Size||4-5 Eggs|
|Nest Box||14 x 7 Inch L-Box|
|Breeding Life||15 Years|
Least Concern - Stable
Last assessed July 2020 for the IUCN Red List
- Our website has an abundance of information about species, behaviour, talking ability, and ownership essentials you may need to begin. This is a great place to start narrowing down your search for the bird best suited for your family. Once you have researched various bird species and narrowed down your choices, please contact us via phone or email to create an appointment to meet the birds and ask any questions you may have in regards to care, nutrition, and the best fit for your home.
- We will set up a date and time for you to meet the bird(s). We will notify you of our current protocols and procedures. If you have decided on a specific bird, we recommend that you put a deposit on it. Birds will not be held without a minimum 50% deposit. If you put down a deposit before meeting the bird and after meeting the bird decide it is not a good fit, we can refund your the deposit in full. If you are placing a deposit prior to meeting a bird, your appointment to meet the bird must be within the following week.
- If you are meeting a bird(s) that is not weaned, you will not be able to take the bird home that same day. If you are meeting a bird that is weaned, and you are properly prepared to have the new bird in your home, we will go over a care sheet and answer any questions you have during your appointment. If that is too soon, and your home is not ready, you can book a pick-up appointment within the following week. Again, to reserve a bird you must put down at least a 50% deposit or payment in full.
- When your bird is weaned and ready to go home you will receive an email with the following information
• A link to our care sheet in printable PDF form.
• A link to book a timeslot for your care sheet / bird pick-up.
• A link to the food your bird is eating as well as toys, treats, and other essential items to start your new adventure!
- Read the care sheet, write down any questions you have, ensure you’ve got the correct food and a proper variety of toys and perches, as well as a suitable cage. Then book your pick-up appointment! Please show up within 5 minutes of the appointment start time. If you have a carrier for your new bird, feel free to bring it. We can provide a travel box if needed.
If you have additional questions about how to purchase one of our birds please take a look at our FAQ's for purchasing a new bird:
Before You Buy
We offer a seven-day health guarantee on our handfed birds. A mandatory educational care sheet will be gone over at time of purchase. You must provide your bird with suitable shelter, food, water, vitamins and minerals from time of purchase.
We suggest that within three days (72 hours) of purchase, you bring your bird to an avian vet for a complete examination. This is at the cost of the pet owner. Should any health problem occur or be discovered, inform us IMMEDIATELY, with a written report otherwise the health guarantee is void. Any veterinary fees at this point need to be cleared by Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.
The health guarantee does not apply if there is another bird in your home that was not purchased from Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc. or if the bird leaves the store unclipped.
We cannot guarantee the gender or temperament of your bird. Our handfed birds are tame but may take some time to adjust to their new surroundings. The more time is spent socializing with your pet bird after they have settled into your household, the better your relationship with your pet will be. After the seven day period any warranty will be at the discretion of Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.