|Common Name||Black-masked or Yellow-collared Lovebird|
|Latin Name||Agapornis personatus|
|Average Lifespan||15-20 Years|
|Average Length||6.5 Inches|
|Average Weight||45-50 grams|
|Song Type||Chirps, Short Whistles|
Noise Level & Talking Ability
Black-masked lovebirds tend to be quieter than some other lovebirds, but still make noise. It is the usual chirps and whistles like other lovebirds. They may learn to imitate some sounds and noises but aren't known for being great talkers.
As the two common names suggest, these birds have a black mask and a yellow collar. The bird is overall green, with a bright red-orange beak. These lovebird have a thick, white eye-ring. The black-mask covers the entire face, extending as far back as the nape in some individuals. The upper breast is yellow, extending around the birds neck. The flight feathers are green becoming black toward the tip. The wings and back are a darker green than the belly and tail. Feet and legs are grey.
This little bird will delight you with its playful and amusing antics. They are active intelligent birds and make a wonderful companion and friend. They tend to be fairly calm natured and make excellent pet parrots!
NOTE: Many people believe that lovebirds must be kept in pairs. This is not true. If you are looking to keep a companion bird who wish to socialize and bond with we recommend keeping just one. If you house multiple handfed birds together in the same cage they will start to bond with the other bird(s) more than they would bond with you and your family. A single bird's flock is their human companion.
These birds should be fed a base diet of pellets. Most lovebird seed mixes in a commercial pet store will work, but it’s important the lovebirds learn to eat pellets as well because they contain a great deal of nutrients not found in seeds. It can take time for the lovebird to eat pellets and the owner should be patient and consistent when exposing them to pellet food. Not only are seeds and pellets essential, so are fresh fruits and vegetables.
Please note: if you are just taking a new bird home it is best practice to always leave their desired food in the cage full time. Water should always be available.
A roomy cage is required as lovebirds are very active birds. Ideally, a cage for a lovebird should not be smaller than 3 square feet. The bird needs to be provided with proper perches and enrichment in the cage. A variety of diameter wooden perches, a cotton rope, and a concrete perch (near the food dish) are recommended. A minimum of 3 to 5 toys is needed to keep the bird entertained and to prevent boredom.
|Age of Maturity||12 Months|
|Breeding Aviculture||Somewhat Common|
|Average Clutch Size||4-6 Eggs|
|Nest Box||6 x 6 x 6 Inches|
|Breeding Life||8-12 Years|
Stable - Least Concern
Last assessed August 2018 for the IUCN Red List
- Our website has an abundance of information about species, behaviour, talking ability, and ownership essentials you may need to begin. This is a great place to start narrowing down your search for the bird best suited for your family. Once you have researched various bird species and narrowed down your choices, please contact us via phone or email to create an appointment to meet the birds and ask any questions you may have in regards to care, nutrition, and the best fit for your home.
- We will set up a date and time for you to meet the bird(s). We will notify you of our current protocols and procedures. If you have decided on a specific bird, we recommend that you put a deposit on it. Birds will not be held without a minimum 50% deposit. If you put down a deposit before meeting the bird and after meeting the bird decide it is not a good fit, we can refund your the deposit in full. If you are placing a deposit prior to meeting a bird, your appointment to meet the bird must be within the following week.
- If you are meeting a bird(s) that is not weaned, you will not be able to take the bird home that same day. If you are meeting a bird that is weaned, and you are properly prepared to have the new bird in your home, we will go over a care sheet and answer any questions you have during your appointment. If that is too soon, and your home is not ready, you can book a pick-up appointment within the following week. Again, to reserve a bird you must put down at least a 50% deposit or payment in full.
- When your bird is weaned and ready to go home you will receive an email with the following information
• A link to our care sheet in printable PDF form.
• A link to book a timeslot for your care sheet / bird pick-up.
• A link to the food your bird is eating as well as toys, treats, and other essential items to start your new adventure!
- Read the care sheet, write down any questions you have, ensure you’ve got the correct food and a proper variety of toys and perches, as well as a suitable cage. Then book your pick-up appointment! Please show up within 5 minutes of the appointment start time. If you have a carrier for your new bird, feel free to bring it. We can provide a travel box if needed.
If you have additional questions about how to purchase one of our birds please take a look at our FAQ's for purchasing a new bird:
Before You Buy
We offer a seven-day health guarantee on our handfed birds. A mandatory educational care sheet will be gone over at time of purchase. You must provide your bird with suitable shelter, food, water, vitamins and minerals from time of purchase.
We suggest that within three days (72 hours) of purchase, you bring your bird to an avian vet for a complete examination. This is at the cost of the pet owner. Should any health problem occur or be discovered, inform us IMMEDIATELY, with a written report otherwise the health guarantee is void. Any veterinary fees at this point need to be cleared by Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.
The health guarantee does not apply if there is another bird in your home that was not purchased from Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc. or if the bird leaves the store unclipped.
We cannot guarantee the gender or temperament of your bird. Our handfed birds are tame but may take some time to adjust to their new surroundings. The more time is spent socializing with your pet bird after they have settled into your household, the better your relationship with your pet will be. After the seven day period any warranty will be at the discretion of Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.