1) HARRISON’S BIRD FOODS are health foods for birds. By introducing the first avian formulation made from certified organic ingredients, Harrison’s has literally transformed the feeding of pet birds! We have combined the experience of decades of work in the avian veterinary field with that of top PhD avian nutritionists to create formulas to achieve and maintain results.
2) SEED DIETS & HOMEMADE CONCOCTIONS ARE NUTRITIONALLY DEFICIENT A pet bird who eats a seed diet is not getting all the nutrients it needs to remain healthy. As a matter of fact, malnutrition is the leading cause of death in pet birds. Harrison’s Bird Foods were developed by avian veterinarians, leading aviculturists and top avian nutritionists to be the most nutritionally complete diet available.
3) CERTIFIED ORGANIC and NON-GMO INGREDIENTS It is very important to understand that birds are extremely sensitive to chemicals used in most contemporary farming. All Harrison’s Bird Foods are certified organic by International Certification Services (ICS) and meet the requirements set forth by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP). Harrison’s Bird Foods contain: NO chemical insecticides, herbicides or fungicides, NO preservatives and NO double-dosed vitamins. HBD screens all of its products for pathogenic bacteria, molds (mycotoxins) and various natural enzymes (e.g.,trypsin) to assure safety for consumption by birds and other animals.
In 2014, Harrison’s Bird Foods acquired a highly coveted non-GMO certification. Harrison’s now also carries the seal of The Non-GMO Project, which guarantees our products meet strict guidelines in regard to never using genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
4) PREMIUM INGREDIENTS RIGHT FROM THE START Besides being certified organic and non-GMO verifioed, our ingredients are premium, whole grains and legumes, not cheap fine-milled/bleached flours or cereal byproducts. Harrison’s does not incorporate wheat into their bird food formulas. To assure the finest, safest, healthy bird foods available tests are performed on each and every batch to make sure they meet strict nutritional requirements
5) THE HEALTHY HAPPY BIRD The signs of a healthy bird are primarily the result of a healthy diet. The ideal pet bird is beautiful and brightly colored, with sleek-looking feathers. A healthy bird likes to sing, play, talk and very often be active and affectionate with family members. Harrison’s Bird Foods’ goal is to help you make your bird a healthy happy bird”.
Our mission has always been disease prevention and promotion of wellness. Most commercial products just treat clinical signs of a disease and not the animal as a whole. At Harrisons’ we promote whole animal health through whole, intact foods. There is new and ongoing evidence of the negative effects of mega-agriculture on all animals, humans and the planet. The effects range from behavioral and reproductive disorders to immune suppression and cancers. These issues point to the value of encouraging organic farming, using sustainable resources and being proactive. Through the use of the natural, sustainable products we offer, animals achieve a stronger immune system to overcome environmental contaminants. This preventive approach is a compelling distinction of Harrisons’ Bird Foods
Choosing A Diet
To select a the right Harrison’s formula for your bird please refer to the chart below. Most small birds (budgies/canaries etc.) should start out on HIGH POTENCY SUPER FINE Most small to medium species (cockatiel/dove etc.) should start out on HIGH POTENCY FINE Most med/large species (African Greys/Amazons etc.) should start out on HIGH POTENCY COARSE
All birds switching to Harrison’s should start out and remain on High Potency for a period of at least 8 months. After 8 months some birds may then switch to Adult Lifetime. Certain species (African Grey and larger Macaw for example) should remain on High Potency. Most birds can remain on High Potency indefinitely.
High Potency Formulas
SPECIAL USES FOR HIGH POTENCY FORMULAS: • Year-round formula for all medium to large parrots, especially African greys, cockatoos, large conures, eclectus, macaws and pionus. Other species may be switched to Adult Lifetime Formula after a 6-8 month conversion period.
• Conversion: All birds should start out and remain on High Potency Formula for a period of at least 6 months.
• Special needs: for birds that are molting, *overweight, underweight, particularly active, housed in a cold climate, recovering from an illness or affected by liver or kidney disease.
• Weaning Birds: Feed High Potency Formula for at least 6-9 months.