|Common Name||Red-Bellied Parrot|
|Latin Name||Poicephalus rufiventris|
|Average Lifespan||30 Years|
|Average Length||9 Inches|
|Average Weight||113 - 140 Grams|
|Song Type||Whistles, Mimics|
Noise Level & Talking Ability
Red Bellies are fairly quiet birds but can have their moments. Red bellied parrots are great talkers. They can make a variety of noises and sounds as well as mimic human words. Red bellies can also learn to whistle.
Red-bellied parrots are a smaller parrot. The head, throat, wings, back, and tail are grey-brown with a slight greenish tinge. The eye is brick red with a dark periophthalmic ring. The beak is charcoal grey, as are the legs and the nails are black. Male red-bellied parrots have the characteristic orange-red abdomen and underwing. Females have a bright green-blue abdomen. Both males and females have blue rumps, and the pantaloons and base of the tail are an electric green colour. Aging males, and sometimes females, may develop an orange blushing in the face.
Young males, and on occasion young females, may have a small amount of orange in the crown however this usually fades away after the first molt. Young males do have coloured bellies, but it is a paler orange that intensifies with age. The iris on both male and female is dark when young.
Red-bellied parrots are an addicting species to work with. They are strikingly attractive and highly intelligent. These birds are best suited to owners who have experience with parrots and are able to promote and enforce good behaviour. Red-bellied parrots make excellent pets and are quick to learn tricks, words, and sounds.
Pellets should make up 60% of the diet. Fresh fruits and veggies, and other healthy chop mixes should make up 30% of the diet, and seed should only make up 10% as a treat. Almonds are a good treat choice for most African species, including Red-bellieds. Seeds and fruit are both relatively low in nutrients and should not make up a significant amount of the diet.
They are an interesting bird that thrives in routine and become accustomed to the habits of their owners. Red-bellied parrots do best in a cage that is between 4 and 6 square feet or so. They don't tend to stress too easily, but too large of a cage will increase the likelihood of the bird overstressing and potentially plucking as a result. Cage placement is also very important, for example, a cage right in front a window tends to be extremely stressful. .
|Age of Maturity||18-24 months|
|Average Clutch Size||3-4 Eggs|
|Nest Box||L-Box 16 x 8 inches|
|Breeding Life||20 Years|
Stable - Least Concern
Last assessed October 2016 for the IUCN Red List.
- Our website has an abundance of information about species, behaviour, talking ability, and ownership essentials you may need to begin. This is a great place to start narrowing down your search for the bird best suited for your family. Once you have researched various bird species and narrowed down your choices, please contact us via phone or email to create an appointment to meet the birds and ask any questions you may have in regards to care, nutrition, and the best fit for your home.
- We will set up a date and time for you to meet the bird(s). We will notify you of our current protocols and procedures. If you have decided on a specific bird, we recommend that you put a deposit on it. Birds will not be held without a minimum 50% deposit. If you put down a deposit before meeting the bird and after meeting the bird decide it is not a good fit, we can refund your the deposit in full. If you are placing a deposit prior to meeting a bird, your appointment to meet the bird must be within the following week.
- If you are meeting a bird(s) that is not weaned, you will not be able to take the bird home that same day. If you are meeting a bird that is weaned, and you are properly prepared to have the new bird in your home, we will go over a care sheet and answer any questions you have during your appointment. If that is too soon, and your home is not ready, you can book a pick-up appointment within the following week. Again, to reserve a bird you must put down at least a 50% deposit or payment in full.
- When your bird is weaned and ready to go home you will receive an email with the following information
• A link to our care sheet in printable PDF form.
• A link to book a timeslot for your care sheet / bird pick-up.
• A link to the food your bird is eating as well as toys, treats, and other essential items to start your new adventure!
- Read the care sheet, write down any questions you have, ensure you’ve got the correct food and a proper variety of toys and perches, as well as a suitable cage. Then book your pick-up appointment! Please show up within 5 minutes of the appointment start time. If you have a carrier for your new bird, feel free to bring it. We can provide a travel box if needed.
If you have additional questions about how to purchase one of our birds please take a look at our FAQ's for purchasing a new bird:
Before You Buy
We offer a seven-day health guarantee on our handfed birds. A mandatory educational care sheet will be gone over at time of purchase. You must provide your bird with suitable shelter, food, water, vitamins and minerals from time of purchase.
We suggest that within three days (72 hours) of purchase, you bring your bird to an avian vet for a complete examination. This is at the cost of the pet owner. Should any health problem occur or be discovered, inform us IMMEDIATELY, with a written report otherwise the health guarantee is void. Any veterinary fees at this point need to be cleared by Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.
The health guarantee does not apply if there is another bird in your home that was not purchased from Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc. or if the bird leaves the store unclipped.
We cannot guarantee the gender or temperament of your bird. Our handfed birds are tame but may take some time to adjust to their new surroundings. The more time is spent socializing with your pet bird after they have settled into your household, the better your relationship with your pet will be. After the seven day period any warranty will be at the discretion of Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.
Here you will find everything you will need to get started with proper poicephalus parrot ownership! This collection is specially curated by our expert staff! Mix and match to suit your bird's needs.View More