|Common Name||Rose-Fronted Conure, Rosafront Conure|
|Latin Name||Pyrrhura roseifrons
|Average Lifespan||20 - 25 Years|
|Average Length||22 cm (8.75 Inches)|
|Average Weight||62 grams|
|Song Type||Tropical Squawking|
Noise Level & Talking Ability
Rose-fronted Conures are known for their quieter natures in comparison to other species of conures. Almost any conure will be louder than a cockatiel for example. However, rose-fronted conures can make good apartment birds but there will always be some noise.
Since rose-fronted conures tend to be on the quieter side for conures they naturally don't talk as much or as often compared to other conures. Rose-fronted conures may learn to speak a few select words over time.
Rose-fronted conures are part of the P. picta complex, and therefore look similar to painted conures. They are mainly green with a dark red belly, rump, and tail. Adult rose-fronted conures have a striking red head. The amount of red varies between individuals and can range from just the forecrown to nearly the entire head. The breast and throat feathers on mature birds are dark brown with light edging, giving a wavy appearance. The iris is brown, and the periophthalmic ring can be whitish to dark grey. The beak and feet are dark grey. The tail is approximately the same length as the body.
Young / immature rose-fronted conures look very similar to green-cheeked conures. Rose-fronted conures can be distinguished by their smaller size, deep red in the face, and the breast being mostly green with some dark and bluish markings. The red crown begins to come in at the first molt, and with each molt after more feathers become red. It can take 2-5 years for the bird to develop all the red they are going to.
Rose-fronted conures are comical and loving birds. They tend to bond strongly with their family. They may be a bit shy to start but readily warm up to people. They are always eager to snuggle or play, and have a gentle disposition. These birds work well for most homes and lifestyles. Like all birds, daily attention is important and plays a large role in the friendliness / trainability of your bird.
Bird pellets such as Zupreem Natural Pellets should make up the majority of the diet. Their diet can be kept varied with fresh fruits and veggies along with whole wheat or veggie pasta plus cooked rice which has been cooled down to room temperate. Cooked sweet potato cooled to room temperature is also great for providing extra Vitamin A content!
A rose-fronted conure needs a cage large enough to provide space for daily exercise. The cage should have a foot print no less than about 4 sqft, with maximum wire spacing of 5/8" inches.
|Age of Maturity||15 months
|Average Clutch Size||4-5 Eggs|
|Nest Box||14 x 7 Inch L-Box|
|Breeding Life||15 Years|
Least Concern - Decreasing
Last assessed October 2016 for the IUCN Red List
- Our website has an abundance of information about species, behaviour, talking ability, and ownership essentials you may need to begin. This is a great place to start narrowing down your search for the bird best suited for your family. Once you have researched various bird species and narrowed down your choices, please contact us via phone or email to create an appointment to meet the birds and ask any questions you may have in regards to care, nutrition, and the best fit for your home.
- We will set up a date and time for you to meet the bird(s). We will notify you of our current protocols and procedures. If you have decided on a specific bird, we recommend that you put a deposit on it. Birds will not be held without a minimum 50% deposit. If you put down a deposit before meeting the bird and after meeting the bird decide it is not a good fit, we can refund your the deposit in full. If you are placing a deposit prior to meeting a bird, your appointment to meet the bird must be within the following week.
- If you are meeting a bird(s) that is not weaned, you will not be able to take the bird home that same day. If you are meeting a bird that is weaned, and you are properly prepared to have the new bird in your home, we will go over a care sheet and answer any questions you have during your appointment. If that is too soon, and your home is not ready, you can book a pick-up appointment within the following week. Again, to reserve a bird you must put down at least a 50% deposit or payment in full.
- When your bird is weaned and ready to go home you will receive an email with the following information
• A link to our care sheet in printable PDF form.
• A link to book a timeslot for your care sheet / bird pick-up.
• A link to the food your bird is eating as well as toys, treats, and other essential items to start your new adventure!
- Read the care sheet, write down any questions you have, ensure you’ve got the correct food and a proper variety of toys and perches, as well as a suitable cage. Then book your pick-up appointment! Please show up within 5 minutes of the appointment start time. If you have a carrier for your new bird, feel free to bring it. We can provide a travel box if needed.
If you have additional questions about how to purchase one of our birds please take a look at our FAQ's for purchasing a new bird:
Before You Buy
We offer a seven-day health guarantee on our handfed birds. A mandatory educational care sheet will be gone over at time of purchase. You must provide your bird with suitable shelter, food, water, vitamins and minerals from time of purchase.
We suggest that within three days (72 hours) of purchase, you bring your bird to an avian vet for a complete examination. This is at the cost of the pet owner. Should any health problem occur or be discovered, inform us IMMEDIATELY, with a written report otherwise the health guarantee is void. Any veterinary fees at this point need to be cleared by Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.
The health guarantee does not apply if there is another bird in your home that was not purchased from Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc. or if the bird leaves the store unclipped.
We cannot guarantee the gender or temperament of your bird. Our handfed birds are tame but may take some time to adjust to their new surroundings. The more time is spent socializing with your pet bird after they have settled into your household, the better your relationship with your pet will be. After the seven day period any warranty will be at the discretion of Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc.